Irregular Columns With Tracking Attachment
Recommended Panel Configuration & Measuring
There are 4 sided wrap-around porches and sometimes 5 or even 6 sides. Everything here is conceptually the same for any number of sides, but just involves more sides & more panels. For this explanation, we will use 4-sided.
If you have irregularly-shaped columns, you have one choice, an Inside Hang, where panels take a path INSIDE your columns.
Projects with Irregular-shaped columns are generally 5 panel configurations for ease of use and natural looking swags. Panels 1 starts at the house and ends somewhere between H1 & H2. Panel 2 picks up where panel 1 left off, straddles the first corner column at H2 and ends somewhere along side 2. Continue similarly with panels 3, 4 & 5 till you are back at the house on side 4 near H5.
Irregular Columns With Tracking
- Measure the exposed widths of both sides ALONG the path your tracking will take WITHOUT ANY OVERLAP (which we will adjust for momentarily).
- Measure heights at all 5 corners from underside of track mounting surface to floor. The 5 heights could be different and you cannot assume all heights are the same.
- If for some reason you don’t have a good under-mounting surface, remember you can make one by side-mounting a 2″x 2″ wood strip, then under-mounting track to the wood strip.
- We divide your project into 5 individual panels, 3 of which straddle the outer corners.
- 4 Panel breaks with magnetic doorways are wherever you like on each of the 4 sides.
- IMPORTANT: Sum width of all sides = Sum of all panel widths.
The configuration diagrams below demonstrate a few possibilities from a top view using marine snaps, magnetic doorways, and stucco strips. Watch the video to get an overview on how to measure and some ideas for your panel configuration.
Panel Adjustments (Or Use Calculator Below)
Once you have your panel configuration, there are a few panel adjustments to make for each panel. The sum width of all your panels needs to be wider than your actual exposure for overlapping magnetic doors or overlapping a structural surface (like a wall or column) and a little more so that you can have a relaxed fit. Use our panel calculator below to help with your calculations.
Simple Panel Adjustment Calculator (if all heights are the same)
This simple panel calculator will make your panel adjustments for each panel, one at a time!
Use this calculator by entering the 5 pieces of information required to adjust your panels. Repeat for each panel larger than a stucco strip.
NOTE: If the difference between all 4 heights is less than 1.5-inches, just use the tallest of the 4 heights. If the heights differs more than 1.5-inches, call in your order because we will need to taper the slope.